The Sawpit Campground (Free Camping) is situated in Mount Clay State Forest not too far from Portland. This free campground provides plenty of opportunities for recreation activities including obviously camping.
It is a great spot to have picnics with the family and enjoy outdoor recreation activities such as hiking and mountain biking (there are tracks available).
Not too far is the Surry River which is on the western slope and is a very popular spot to go fishing. The common fish caught here is bream.
The site is as the name suggest a historic sawmill. Because of this there big camping spaces which are nestled within the native forest. It is a very accessible campsite and 2WD vehicles with caravans and campers will easily be mobile in the area. It is a perfect spot for larger groups.
There is a lovely picnic area which has a track which loops through the forest to a place called Whalers Lookout. This location has some epic views which span across the ocean as well as some sprawling farmland. A great free camping Victoria location.
RATED 4.4/5 – Check Google Reviews
Details about Sawpit Campground site
- Location on Google Maps from Melbourne
- Distance from Melbourne: 4 Hours – 340kms
- Narrawong Forest, Mount Clay MTB Trail, off Boyers Rd, Narrawong
- Close to Forest and Beaches
- Access: Dirt roads are wide and well maintained but can be boggy after rain
- Suitable for: Tents, caravans, camper trailers, big rigs
- Facilities: Drop toilets, BBQ, firepits, table and chairs, shaded sites
- Pet-Friendly: Yes